Week 8

Today was a busy, busy day! First, in the morning, I assisted students with their biography projects. The students have been working on these for some time now. Each student picked a famous person to research, and then the next week, the students put on a wax museum and dressed as that person. I pulled a few students individually to review their projects and what they would say come wax museum day. I told the students they wanted to pick out interesting facts about their person for this project. If they are performing as them, they need to keep the viewers interested! My MT appreciated the assistance; she said the students are still in progress, and the museum will be soon. After this, I helped with the math lesson. First, we did a quick math, where students had 2 minutes to solve 25 questions. After this, we dove right into the continuing lesson. This lesson was comparing fractions, and then the students had to draw/sketch what the fractions are like.

I also, with my MT, reviewed a few problems as a whole class, and then we broke off and did group work. Here, I helped many groups as they needed clarification with the directions and how to do some things. When we were working, I tried to let them figure it out without me giving too much of my two cents. I wanted to see if they could get themselves unstuck. I had them re-read the problem and restate it in their own words. I then asked them to underline or circle important terms and information. Then we were able to work through it more. It was a good feeling to help them see how to work out the problem. After this, I returned to the class and taught a little more. During this time, I tried to ask many questions. I want to challenge them with my questions.

Right before Social Studies, I talked about and read a book about Sandra Day O’Connor to the class. The students are working on their biographies, so this was perfect, and it was suitable to celebrate and allow the students to investigate International Women’s Day! While I read and discussed Sandra Day O’Connor, I tried to ask some questions to the students. I tried my best to relate the story and experiences Sandra went through to the students or the lives of the people they were researching for their biographies. I thought this went well – I got some notes from my MT that were helpful. It helps me see what I am doing well and what I could use improvement on. I allows me to know that I am doing good and I should keep it up. There are times where I feel like I did not do as well as I had wanted so seeing that I am doing okay makes me feel good about myself.